- ‘Last’ gone
- ‘Duchess’ well known, looked up to, rich
What is it about?
A Duke is talking about his dead wife to a visitor, there is a portrait that shows her smiling widely, he says he has killed her because she smiles at everyone the same way she smiles at him.
- ‘Ferrara’ A place in Italy tells you where it is set
- Repetition of ‘The spot of joy’ shows he was irritated by her smile
- ‘Half flush dies along her throat’ metaphor the word ‘dies’ makes it seem sad, could be foreshadowing for her death
- Rhyme makes it flow, it also shows he is in control as there is a controlled rhyme scheme
- Idiolect- ‘twas
- Rhetorical Questions- shows he is in charge
- Iambic pentameter– makes it flows , picture flows
- Dramatic Monologue it seems he is talking to you making him more powerful
- Enjambment natural speech
- Caesura natural speech, unstable, confused, lacks mental control
Feelings and Ideas
Themes and Links
- Power is represent when duke talks about 900 year old name
- Death is represent in duke’s wife’s death
- Pride is seen again in the’900 year old name’
I think it is despicable that he killed his wife and he has so much power. I do not think it is fair.