Use this blog post to remind yourselves about plot for Macbeth with a few handy quotations to memorise and analyse.
- Macbeth is a brave Scottish solider.
- He meets witches who predict that he will be Thane of Cawdor and then King.
- King Duncan rewards Macbeth for his loyalty and makes him a Thane of Cawdor.
- Macbeth’s wife is excited about the predictions but worries that Macbeth is weak.
- Macbeth doubts killing the King because of his loyalty.
- Lady Macbeth convinces Macbeth that he should do the deed.
- Macbeth sees a floating dagger which leads him to kill Duncan.
- Lady Macbeth and Macbeth meet after the murder, both a bit scared but Macbeth more so.
- The weather and natural elements go into disruption as a result of the King’s murder.
- Macbeth kills to guards to make it look like they killed Duncan.
- Duncan’s sons flee because they are scared they will be killed next.
- Macbeth is crowned king.
- Macbeth arranges for Banquo and his son to be killed.
- Macbeth has a banquet for all the other lords, but behaves strangely because he sees the ghost of Banquo.
- Some lords at the party become suspicious of Macbeth and flee to England.
- Macbeth grows in power while lady Macbeth becomes more guilty.
- Macbeth wants to visit the witches again.
- Macbeth visits the witches who give him three new prophecies:
1 – he can’t be harmed until the forrest walks to his castle.
2 – no man of woman born can harm him.
3 – he should beware Lord Macduff.
- Macbeth orders the execution of Macduff’s family.
- Macduff and Malcom (Duncan’s eldest son) arrange an army to defeat Macbeth.
- Lady Macbeth has gone mad with guilt and sleep walks constantly.
- She ends up dying, but Macbeth doesn’t really react to this.
- Malcolm’s army approaches the castle hiding behind tree branches.
- Macduff and Macbeth battle – Macbeth learns that Macduff was born my caesarean section.
- Macbeth is killed and Malcolm sits on the throne as the true king.